Sunday, April 7, 2013

Is The Torah Obsolete?

For many years I have listened to friends and family debate over the application of the "OT" into our lives. My problem with the constant argument is not in the original debate in it self but rather that it becomes a debate over why it is obsolete rather than if it is obsolete at all. I fully believe that Yeshua is my saviour, but where I differ than many mainstream "Christians" is that just because I believe Yeshua died for my sins, does not mean that I believe that Gods original law is no longer valid. 

Some would argue that the law of Moses was only intended for our Jewish brothers and sisters but let me put it to you this way. My daughters come to me and ask me for a cookie. Now would I tell my oldest (the Jewish people) "you must clean the house, behave perfectly, and say all your pleases and thank you's then and only then can you have a cookie", but now I turn to my youngest (the gentile) and say "just say I love you and you may have a cookie". Does this portray me as a fair mother. Do you beleive that God is not fair, even when he himself claims to be a fair God? Ezekiel 18:25 God states:

Yet ye say, the way of the lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? Are not your ways unequal?

Yes God sent Yeshua to die on the cross for our sins so that we would not be judged on the ability to follow a perfect law with our imperfect hearts. But does this mean that we should not try? Now you will say but Yeshua himself did not follow the law. I tell you this is untrue. Yeshua was in the truest sense Jewish by birth as well as action This means he grew up and believed in being Torah bound. He followed God's law perfectly what we interpret to mean that he dissolved the law was not him abolishing Gods law but instead it was man's law. Over the years Pharisees had developed Rabbinical law in order to initially give you a how to book on following Gods law. The problem was that over time they began to place their law at the same level and sometimes higher than the law of God. This is what Yeshua abolished. Remember Yeshua states in Matthew 5:17-18:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Now I ask you has heaven and earth passed away, is their world peace, is the Egyptian river dry, has death ceased, and the dead been resurrected? Then not all has been fulfilled. Basically until Yeshua returns the law is not obsolete. Then and only then will their be no need for it. 

Photo provided from http://www.simchatyeshua.com/2009/02/restoring-torah-to-his-people/torah-study-2/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment